Blog pic

Blog pic

Thursday, March 5, 2015

A New Lifestyle: Going Gluten Free

 
"Why the heck are you doing that?" 
"What are you eating?"
"I couldn't do that!"

Those are just a couple things people have said to me this past week.  Why, you ask?  Because I have chosen to eliminate a grain most people can't get enough of - wheat.  Yes, I've decided to go gluten (wheat) free.  

In my life, I have met plenty of people that are gluten-free, although most of them live this way not by their choosing, but because they are allergic to it.  So why am I willingly doing this?  Well, after talking to these people, they all said that although it is hard, they feel so much better without wheat.  It is a healthy choice, so I figured why not give it a try?  

I am proud to say I haven't consumed any wheat since the day I started, and I'm not planning to (unless I go to Olive Garden.  I'm not strong enough to give up their amazing bread sticks).  For me, it's been challenging because I loooove bread, but not as difficult as I thought.  I've also realized how unhealthy I had been eating, and found so many more options that are much better.  

A decade ago, stores didn't have many options for gluten-free people, but you'd be surprised how much they have now.  I've tried brownies and pasta - two things I thought I wouldn't be able to live without - as well as pretzels and many other gluten-free products, and guess what...It tastes almost the same as the regular stuff. I actually thought the brownies might be, dare I say, better than the stuff I'm used to!

Corn, potatoes, and rice have been just some of the grains taking the place of the beloved wheat.  Tortilla chips have become my best friend and mashed potatoes are still fair game (which is great because I can't go without potatoes either; it'd be crazy anti-Irish).  I've also been eating caramel rice cakes with a little bit of Nutella and strawberries on top (it's even better than it sounds).


By going gluten-free, I've found it so much easier to eat those 8 servings of fruits and vegetables we're supposed to eat every day.  If you know me, you know I really don't like peanut butter, but I've found it is amazing on celery.  And I'm not craving sugar nearly as much, letting fruit like strawberries, apples, oranges, and pineapple take its place as my dessert. 


I'm not as hungry either, which is the exact opposite of what I thought I'd feel like.  Maybe it's because I'm getting used to less food, or maybe because gluten can make you crave more than your body actually needs.  I have much more energy and it's easier to get ready in the morning since I'm not walking around like a zombie.  I don't feel weighed down at all, and my endurance has gone up.  I'm more alert in class and I have an easier time focusing on my work.  My skin feels better as well, which is always a nice bonus. 

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of benefits to eating wheat, there are, but for me, I think the cons outweigh the pros on this one.  I'm not sure how long I'll stay gluten free, it may become permanent.  I'm really not sure.  It'll depend on how it goes down the road.  

One more thing before this ends: This is NOT a diet.  I don't believe diets work because they usually do not last long.  This is instead a new lifestyle, with the occasional exception, and maybe it'll be much better in the long run!  

Feel free to try going gluten-free with me and if you have helpful tips, recipes, advice, brand recommendations, or questions, feel free to post a comment below!  I'll be keeping you updated on this one!  Have a lovely week(: 

Love Always, 
Bree x



 

No comments:

Post a Comment